Join National CAPACD’s Inaugural Stepping Up, Stepping In - New ED Cohort
National CAPACD’s success in promoting AAPI economic well-being, housing security, and neighborhood stability hinges on strong members that are rooted in their communities and guided by effective leaders. In 2018, National CAPACD conducted a rigorous outreach, data collection, and data analysis of our member’s capacity-building needs. This research uncovered a top priority for many organizations was the need to support executive transitions and succession planning. In response, we have created a unique program for new executive leaders in our coalition called “Stepping Up, Stepping In.”
A leadership transition is an important time in the lifespan of an organization to reflect, realign, and recharge staff for the changes ahead. Leadership transitions can create unique opportunities for organizations to collectively adapt to changes while ensuring that their mission and vision to serve their communities remains constant. The cohort that we will bring together seeks to connect leaders who are undergoing transition to find common ground, while also exploring their unique challenges.
Our commitment to building strong community-based organizations starts with you. By participating in this program, you will join our inaugural cohort and be part of our pilot to establish “Stepping Up, Stepping In”. The goal of this program is to help executive leaders build up their strengths and confidence to lead their organization through transition, while also thoughtfully building a leadership pipeline.
National CAPACD invites organizations who have gone through Executive transition in 2018 or later to apply for our pilot executive transition program. The purpose of this program is to provide space for a cohort of 4-5 leaders to spend a year going through workshops, engaging in peer guidance and coaching, exploring their strengths and areas for growth, and receiving feedback on their leadership through a 360 evaluation and engaging in professional one-on-one coaching. There is no cost to participate in this program if your organization is a current paid member of National CAPACD.
The Application Process
- Friday, December 17, 2021: Application is released and made available
- Thursday, January 6, 2022: Informational meeting at 12:00pm PT for interested applicants
- Tuesday, January 18, 2022: Applications are due by 11:59pm PT
- Monday, January 31, 2022: Acceptance notifications are sent out
- Friday, February 4, 2022: Accepted applications must confirm their participation
The program will last for one year and consists of 5 components:
1. Online meetings and monthly peer-to-peer check-ins
2. In-person and virtual training sessions (Strengths-based Leadership, Change Management, Equitable Management Practices and Leadership Development, The Art and Science of Celebrating You, and Building Your Brand)
3. Two in-person convenings* (Week of March 7th in Los Angeles, CA*, and July 11-13 in Seattle, WA) [We will closely monitor the COVID-19 trends and gauge the comfort level of traveling for participants]
4. 360 evaluation from colleagues and board members
5. Six individual coaching sessions with a trained professional coach
- Friday, February 25, 2022: Program Virtual Orientation
- Week of March 7th: 2 Full day in-person convening in Los Angeles, CA*
- Virtual Cohort
- Peer Coaching (occurring every 6 weeks)
- July 11-13, 2022: In-Person meeting at Building CAPACD Convention
- August 5, 2022: Art of Celebrating You (virtual session)
- August 9, 2022: Building your Brand (virtual session)
- Month of August: Introduce 360 to your board of directors and your staff
- September 2022-March 2023: Engage in 6 individual coaching sessions (complete sessions no later than Spring 2023)
Consider Joining Our Stepping Up, Stepping In Program if you:
- Have become an Executive Director/CEO or Co-director of your 501(c)3 organization in 2018 or later
- Are a current paid member of National CAPACD’s coalition
- Want to connect with your peers who have recently gone through a similar transition
- Want a space to work on your professional development and personal brand
- Are looking for support on how to manage and lead your team forward through individual coaching
Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Apply:
- Will I be able to fully participate in all components of the program?
- Do I have any major projects or events that may conflict with my ability to show up and engage with the content and my fellow cohort members?
- What personal commitments (family, vacations, school) do I have coming up in the next year? Will any of them prevent me from being present in the program?
- What support do I have from my board and staff to participate in this program?
We invite you to an information session that will be held on Thursday, January 6th at 12:00pm PT. If you have any specific questions about your participation and the expectations of the program, we encourage you to join to learn more. If you are unable to make the information session, please feel free to email Kelley Lou, Director of Member Empowerment at firstname.lastname@example.org.